Monday, July 22, 2013

Getting Down and Dirty in Kidmin

In our past VBS, one of the boys had a BM accident, threw up, and had another BM accident. I found out that he had significant BM at home before and after VBS. I think he was sick. He felt a little warm and when asked, he said he didn't feel well.

One of the biggest lessons I learned about the Children's Ministry is that you need to be humble enough to handle big messes. Children are naturally messy. Although everyone's willing to help sweep the floor and some are willing to change diapers, there's only 1 or 2 willing to clean poop.

That's right. We're talking about poop today.

This wasn't the first time I've cleaned BM accidents (I used to work at a preschool). It was the 2nd BM accident I cleaned up in the Children's Ministry (the first was also during VBS), but it wasn't the only time I've cleaned kid's poop.

The first BM accident I cleaned in Children's Ministry was in VBS. The boy had diarrhea and I didn't clean him because he was old enough to clean himself. I cleaned the bathroom stall because none of my volunteers could stomach it.

And here's where I inject how extremely important training is. Because with this VBS, I was the one who cleaned and stayed with the boy. And when I was gone both times, my team knew what to do.

Oh yeah, I could have delegated the clean up, but I didn't for several reasons. First, I felt like it was a little cruel to order any of my young team members to get that down and dirty when they didn't have the experience. Second, I wanted to personally find out if the boy was sick in order to communicate better with the parent. Third, I trusted them to continue the work without me.

You gotta love teamwork. While they continued running VBS by doing their parts and filling in for the things I did, I also had a leader checking-in with me, updating me on the call to the boy's parent and relaying messages I may have to other leaders. Everything turned out a-okay.

There are so many kinds of mess children can and do make. It doesn't matter if you're a volunteer, paid staff, a project leader, or the director. We need to humble ourselves and serve even if the work is gross. It's a different kind of service, but it's service for God because you're taking care of His little ones.

BTW, this post isn't to say that I'm humble, but to give an example that we do get dirty in kidmin.

No comments: