Friday, May 10, 2013

Book 7: "Alice in Lace"

I actually read this book many weeks ago but haven't gotten the chance to write about it. I'm behind on my reading, I know. But I've surrounded myself with children's books (as you can see from my last post) because I'm not having much progress in my own stories. The past couple of months have really knocked me off my game, in everything. It's May and I just realized I have so much to do! So I believe my book reviews will be pretty short from now on, unless I end up reading a book I love (of course). Onto Book 7.

Book 7 (of 26): Alice in Lace
Author: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Copyright: 1996, Aladdin Paperbacks (Simon & Schuster imprint)

Alice in Lace was a surprising read. It's about an 8th grade girl named Alice and she's getting married to her boyfriend, Patrick. Well, only for a class assignment in health class called Critical Choices. It's supposed to teach them how to make decisions, especially when faced with adult decisions.

That premise alone hooked me in. Some of Alice's classmates had to plan a funeral, buy a car, and be pregnant. All we did in 8th grade was take care of our egg babies. I suppose it was a little refreshing to read about middle school kids that I could actually imagine like they're walking down the street or walked the halls of my own middle school.

Take Alice for example. She is an interesting character. She's being raised by her father (mom died) and she has an almost-twenty-one-year-old brother. At times she's young and naive, and other times wiser than her age. It's the right mix of characteristics for an adolescent.

There were cringe-worthy scenes in the story, but overall, it was a good read. If anything, I'd read other Alice books to join Alice in more of her antics.

No comments: