Sunday, January 06, 2013

Book 1: "101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body"

Find it in Amazon
Book 1: 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body
Authors: Brenda Lane Richardson, Elane Rehr
Copyright: 2001

Today marks the 1st full week of January. Yes, I counted the weeks to make sure I can fit in 26 books in a year. It works :-)

Anyway, I started reading this book in the library when I checked it out. I was perusing the shelves when I stumbled upon it. It intrigued me because of my own experiences with girls and body image, many of which are rooted in cultural attitudes and behavior (more on this later). I flipped through the book and was caught by some of their "101 ways," their suggestions is what I'll call it. I'm not halfway through it yet, but I'm already impressed. I don't completely agree with all the suggestions I've read so far and they had examples that I personally wouldn't put into practice, but the authors did their research. They have statistics and cite psychological studies. I shouldn't be surprised, actually. The authors are both mothers. Richardson is a journalist and public speaker. Rehr is a psychologist specializing in women's and adolescent psychology.

Here's a teeny-tiny teaser. Their first suggestion is baby massage. I've never heard of it, but then again I'm not a mother (yet). But like I said, I have experiences with girls and body image, and since I work with children, I hope this book will shed light on what I may be doing that's harmful (so I can change), what I can do that's beneficial, and how I can help my teachers make a difference.

No comments: