Thursday, January 03, 2013

2013

Happy New Year! It seems like 2012 flew by fast, and I'm not sure I remember all of it. But I do have new year's resolutions: visit a US state I've never visited before, establish my writing business, be more responsible, and read 26 books.

The first is always the same, and the only one I've kept so far: visit a US state I've never visited before. In 2012, I was briefly in Utah visiting Zion National Park. This year, who knows?

Me, establishing a business? Ridiculous! But I want to buckle down with my writing business. It's kinda funny to say that, and yet it wasn't until I read that phrase somewhere that something clicked about being a writer. Bless the author of that article who said that we need to think of writing as our business. We know how writing is hard work, but it's also a business. We need to set hours and don't let ourselves be interrupted by others or by ourselves. We need to be organized, to invest, to further better our skills, etc. Treat it as a business because it is. Easier said than done. Organization isn't my biggest skill. Oh, I can do it. I can be very good at it. I just don't like it. You know what they say about creative people. We're messy, but there's a method to our madness. Just don't try to figure out what it is.

Being more responsible is vague, but what I really mean is getting my head on straight. I need to and want to have more control and responsibility for my life. I knowingly took several steps back - if not run away - from a lot of things, and it resulted in both good and not-so-good consequences. It's time to step up my game, so to speak. Still vague, but there is it.

Lastly, I'm setting a resolution to read 26 books. That's one book every 2 weeks. I plan to start with the books I already have. I've been wanting to re-read them, but never did. So now I've got a deadline. I do have a lot of children's books, some YA books, Christian fiction, and Christian inspiration books/textbooks. I've been sifting through one of them the past 2 months, "Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth" by Richard Foster. Check it out. Anyway, reading is part of writing, so I foresee a lot of kids' books.

So let's see what 2013 will bring. But here's a note on resolutions and goals. If at all possible, be specific. Be realistic but challenging. Set a time-line. Therefore, more posts to come.

No comments: