Thursday, February 09, 2012

Inspirational Circle #1 - Reflection

Just want to say that I can't decide on my blog's design, so it will continue to change from time to time. Anyway, I joined the Inspirational Circle by Jenuine Inspiration and January's theme is reflection. I wanted to make something new, but I found my old diary and I thought to share an entry. A reflection of what I reflected on (cheeky, I know) when I was 11 years old. Part of it is in Tagalog, translation after the original entry. And even though it goes against every grain of my being, I will write the entry as is, unedited, grammatical errors and all.

April 25, 1996
Dear Diary,
     USA! It's a long time and I'm busy writing letters too. It's neat to ride an airplane. But I don't like take offs.
     So, this Tues., school time, Cedar Grove School is our school. 2 months only! Under Observation Titingnan kung pwede kami sa higher grade at it's bec. of age too. Para ka age namin ang aming classmates. Well it's time. Me, Lola & Papa's awake. Bye-Bye.

***Translation***
USA! It's a long time and I'm busy writing letters too. It's neat to ride an airplane. But I don't like take offs. So this Tues., school time, Cedar Grove School is our school. 2 months only! Under Observation. They're going to see if we can be placed at a higher grade and it's because of age too. So we can be with classmates our own age. Well it's time. Me, Grandma & Papa's awake. Bye-Bye.
******

My family arrived at the United States on April 6, 1996. After settling in, I started 5th grade with 2 months left in the school year. I was under observation. If I passed, I move on. If I didn't, I would be held back a grade. I passed, even though I technically had less than 2 months of 5th grade because my sisters and I got the chicken pox! I missed our end of the year field trip to Raging Waters. That was almost 16 years ago.

No comments: