Saturday, August 21, 2010

Movie Review: Eat Pray Love

I've never read the book but the movie trailer made this story seem so intriguing and exciting. Still haven't read the book and don't intend to, but the movie was not as intriguing and exciting as the trailers made it seem.

The story is about Elizabeth Gilbert who divorces her husband and checks out for a year. She goes to Italy, India, and Bali. I was drawn to this movie for two reasons. First, it's about this single woman traveling and I want to be that traveling woman. Second, it's about this woman who is, according to her mom, "always searching for something" and I resonated to that. Yes, I feel like traveling will help me find something that I know I haven't found yet.

But that something is not a man. And this movie pushed that man hunt on the forefront. It showed the beauty in Italy, India, and Bali. It showed Gilbert's relationships with the friends she made. I love how she learned Italian, had a "no carb left behind experiment" which I've been on for a long time now ;-) and mobilized her friends around the world to help a woman in need.

But at the end of the movie, I was left feeling like she found whatever she was looking for in a man. Like without him and without giving in to "falling in love," she'd still be searching. I love me a good romantic plot, I do, but I expected more than that in this movie.

I want to watch this now: Nanny McPhee Returns.

No comments: