Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Miss Universe 2010 Q & A : Philippines Venus Raj




*Sigh* Maybe she answered truthfully. Maybe she hasn't made any "major major" mistakes in her life. Until she answered that question. Yes, many people repeat adjectives for emphasis, but I would think that a contestant in a "major major" competition would know better. There have been so many blunders in beauty competitions that you'd think contestant coaches or handlers would start teaching the contestants to speak eloquently under pressure. That way they'll have the beauty and the brains, lest people think they're wonderful women until they open their mouths.

However, it's not the "major major" that annoys me the most. It's her answer.

Q: What is one big mistake that you've made in your life, and what did you do to make it right?

A: Thank you so much, sir, for that wonderful question. Good evening everyone! Good evening Las Vegas! You know what, sir, in my 22 years of existence I can say there is nothing major major, I mean, problem that I have done in my life because I am very confident with my family, with the love that they are giving to me so thank you so much that I am here. Thank you, thank you so much!

Basically, her answer is that she hasn't created a major problem for herself because she's confident with her family and she's confident with their love for her.

Translation: I haven't made a big mistake because I live in a bubble.

Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe she hasn't had a major problem. Maybe her biggest mistake was ending a friendship she shouldn't have. That pales to the mistake of drunk driving or dropping out of school or inadvertently causing harm to someone else. However, admitting one of her big mistakes (no matter how small it may seem) would have been to her advantage. It would have humanized her and make her relatable to so many people. Then answering how she fixed that mistake would show her capacity for remorse, humility, and problem-solving. Instead, she made the big mistake many people make on job interviews.

Employer: What is your biggest weakness?
Job Seeker: I'm a perfectionist.

Just be honest, don't feign perfection, and stop living in a bubble, because living in a bubble means inexperience and/or a shallow world view.

No comments: