Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Health Care Bill (long post)

The Health Care Bill is getting a lot of heat. Let me just say this first: I think the 10% tax on tanning salons is FUNNY! LOLing literally.

Yes, many don't find it funny. Tanning salon business owners and employees don't find it funny. Tanning customers don't find it funny. But this is my blog and I think it's funny. The price of beauty, my friends, just went up. There are arguments against that tax, but they just seem to come across as noise. Others might say BS. One lady said she tans to get higher levels of Vitamin D. Uh-huh. Whatever. I think tanning is a vanity thing. You know the saying, "The grass is greener on the other side." Consider this. Lighter skinned people tan. Darker skinned people use papaya soap to lighten their skin (oh my Filipino people, expert on papaya soap). If there was a lighting salon, that should have the 10% tax as well. Here's what I'm disappointed about. They put the 10% tanning tax to replace the 5% Botax tax (taxes Botox & breast implant surgeries) that would bring in more money for the HC bill. They should have both taxes! Beauty, my lovelies, are found within. If you don't have joy inside and do not love yourself, no amount of tanning or botox or bigger boobs can solve your problems.

I don't like that the bill will require everyone to have health insurance. If they don't, they'll have an annual fine of over $600. I don't like that. That just eliminated choice. Oh sure, the people will still have a choice to carry insurance or not, but if they don't, they'll be fined. That's not much of a choice. I don't have health insurance. If this law was in effect right now, I'll have to pay almost double to the IRS. I don't have that kind of money.

Republicans unanimously voted against the bill, and many people are crying foul because the bill taxes those who make over $200,000/year. Tax the rich, give to the poor. The government has become Robin Hood. I haven't yet made a finite decision on where I stand on this issue. On one end, who doesn't like a man in green tights? Peter Pan wore green tights. Haha, just lightening the blog (can't escape that papaya soap mentality). Many say the rich are crying foul because they want to stay rich. The rich are crying foul because they worked hard for their money. What I don't like is that many people making over $200k say they work hard and don't want to pay for the health insurance of those who are just lazy, or those who just partied while they studied, or those who are not smart enough, or those who didn't make smart choices, etc. These arguments or reasons are just filled with ad hominem or are just plain insults. Just because a person doesn't make over $200k doesn't mean that person is lazy, or just a partier, or dumb, or didn't make right choices.

Case in point: me. I don't make $200k or am I in a profession towards that. I have my bouts of laziness but I work hard helping my family and others. I never once partied in high school, college, after college, you name it. Cum Laude graduate. Do you know a person that went into the ministry that makes over $200k? Without having been born in money or having been in or is in a job that pays that much? Or how about a teacher. Missionary. Social Worker. Child Welfare Worker. Farmers. Child Care Provider, that person taking care of the children of the $200k-earners. How about a JUDGE or magistrate. The median salary for that position is $143,628 with the 75th percentile at $160,735. Look at that. Less than $200k. Somebody who's "lazy" could put the oh-so-smart-hardworking-200k-earning person in jail. Don't boil my blood by attacking the characters of the many people who chose to earn less money but help people.

Yet even though, as I wrote in my previous post, I'll benefit from the HC bill, I still don't have a finite stand on the issue. Sure they're taxing the rich, but I see taxes rising everywhere, not just with the rich or rich businesses. And I do agree, that there are some people who just don't try. Who are "lazy" or wasted time and money by "partying". I just don't agree to generalizing those who support the bill as those types of people. I also agree that it's not fair to be taxed more just because you make more money. If ever I do get to a place that earns me over $200k/year, I'll be hit with that tax. But just as there are "bad" people with no money, there are "bad" people and "bad" businesses rich with dirty money, money they made on the expense of others.

And really, Medicare and Medicaid...well, many say they're broken systems. They're not completely broken. People do receive help, but they're not great. More like...well, sucks. I know, I know. I joked about Medicare for the young. But I've seen Medicare and Medicaid at work, and there's a lot of frustration on the patients' end.

One thing for sure. I will not pay for someone else's abortion. And I'm glad of the effort to put this on the bill. "Obama planned to sign an executive order Wednesday affirming existing law against federal funding of abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the woman's life." I just hope it's cut and dry. I bet pro-lifers still won't agree to this. I've always considered myself pro-life, but let's be honest. I've never been pregnant because of rape or incest and I don't know how I'd feel if I was in that position. Would you really ask a woman who's been raped to carry a child she doesn't want for 9 months? Go through the hormonal changes, morning sickness, bloating, stretch marks, labor, and postpartum? Some pregnancy changes never leave you. Would you really ask a woman to live with a daily reminder of the evil done to her? Could you? How could anyone who's never been in such position answer that question? So yes, I'm not a sold out pro-lifer. I'm in the middle because of the situations written above and because there are some females pregnant because of irresponsible behavior. And I won't pay for their abortions. Neither should men, the elderly, or other women.

I'm tired of writing about the HC bill. As always, I'll do what I do. I'll flow with the happenings around me. Change is what Obama campaigned with. Well, I've always thought that many people got duped. "Change" is not much of a campaign. Change happens. It's inevitable. Change happens everytime there's a new president, new cabinet, new day. The HC bill is a big change, I'll give him that. As with every change, not everyone's happy. You can't please everyone. I suppose the government's job is to take care of its people. With the Health Care Bill, it's almost quite literally. Time will tell if this bill is mostly beneficial or mostly detrimental.

No comments: