Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care Bill















This is my mom in school. Hehe.

In other news, 3 things about that new health care bill caught my attention:
1. tax break for those who can't afford it = me
2. child coverage extended to 26 yrs = me with less than a year to go
3. ban on pre-existing conditions = me

Seriously, the whole pre-existing condition rule angers me. Take my case. I've had asthma since I was a baby. I've always had a pre-existing condition. I want health insurance to cover that condition. But those insurance companies put up that rule. Well, that's just wrong. Plain wrong. Health insurance shouldn't just be for the just-in-cases. It should be for the already-in-cases! If you get coverage that actually covers everything, you're paying with your arm and your leg.

I paid for a short term health insurance. What a waste of money. I didn't even get to use it at all! They scare us into getting insurance and I agree it's important, but there's so many limitations, what's the point?

And I can't afford health insurance. Like they say, "No good deed goes unpunished." The people who take the road less traveled by gets stinted. These people are the ones who become artists, or religious workers, or writers, or something along the lines of "I don't have an 8 to 5 job" or "I don't want to take an 8 to 5 job just for the money and benefits because I don't want to sell out my soul." These people freelance. These people work in their field because that's where their heart is. These people don't earn a lot of money. They don't have copays or work benefits. These people are my people.

So that tax break is good, but it better be a big tax break. Or how about a voucher? Or Medicare for the young? Or how about you government folks give me back all the money I put into Social Security so I can secure my health right now? Alas, tis is not the case.

But fret not until the health care bill is passed and the laws put into place. Here's something someone should have told me to lessen my stress. You can get away without health insurance if: you're in a generally good health, you don't need prescription medication, and if you do not participate in dangerous or risky activities. If you want vaccinations, you can get them usually for less than $20 at local drugstores that have a pharmacy. If you need health check-ups like for a job, you can get one at a local clinic (for a price). Take note that I said you can "get away" with it not you "don't need" it. I think health insurance is needed and important. And when the bill is passed, you can't get away with not having insurance because there's a fine tacked on there for people without insurance.

No comments: