Sunday, September 27, 2009

Typhoon & Schools

The Philippines was struck by Typhoon Ondo or Ketsana this weekend. Flashfloods put a lot of people out of their homes and also caused deaths. The people are in dire need of food, clothing, and prayers. If you want to help, please contact the American Red Cross 1-800-435-7669 or donate directly to the Philippines National Red Cross, select "others" in the drop down menu. Please click here. Convert dollar to peso here. The exchange rate is currently $1 = P47.2.


In other news, Obama wants to lengthen school days/hours by possibly curtailing summer vacation. Read the story here. The article reports that Obama's reason for the change is that, "American kids spend too little time in school, putting them at a disadvantage with other students around the globe." There are strong and valid arguments on both sides of this issue. I don't know yet how I feel. I do know that if I was still a student, I'd be outraged because I was an honor roll & AP student (hey, I earned bragging rights) and I don't feel disadvantaged compared with other students in this country or the next. My teenage mind would say, "So why do I have to go through more school because other kids are slacking off?" Yeah. I was that kid. Probably still am.

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

The biggest disadvantage I see to his policy is that it would make it hard to earn money for college if you didn't have that summer break. Though I do agree with the reasoning behind it ultimately I'd leave it as it is if I had any choice in the issue.