Sunday, August 23, 2009

Daily Spark 3

Ahh, see. I told you so. I already missed a day. Here's my overdue spark.

Daily Spark: The Common Shakespeare (pg 8)

"To thine own self be true" basically means be true to yourself. But, as with almost all things, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

We've all put a different face in front of others. We've done it when we were hiding something. Or when we tried to be strong for someone else. But at the core of it, at the end of the day, when we look in the mirror, we should see our own face. That's sometimes easier said than done. It's very easy to lie to ourselves, but that is often times what leads us down the wrong paths.

Have you ever procrastinated? Have you ever told yourself, "I have time" when you really don't? But you keep telling yourself that so you can postpone whatever it is you wanted to postpone. In the end, however, you've hurt yourself. You made yourself harried and stressed. All because you weren't true to yourself.

I think it's important to be true to ourselves. We've got to man up and own up to who we are or what we've done or where we are in life. I think twentysomethings, especially those fresh out of college, think about that a lot. I know I do. For a long time I've walked one path. Let's call it school. Now school is done. That one path I've walked became like a tree trunk with many branches. It's so overwhelming that the most dreaded words are, "What now?"

Even if your story is different, we all face this tree trunk into branches path. It's that point in our lives when we know we have to grow up. It's scary to pick one branch because it's scary to say, "Hello world. I'm growing up. This is who I'm going to be. FOREVER." It's like telling a kid inside a candy store to only pick one candy. It's so mean. But that's life. We make choice after choice after choice.

So to thine own self be true. Doing so will lead to you make right choices.

No comments: