Sunday, January 20, 2008

My parents went to a funeral. I suddenly had the realization that I don't like funerals. When I die, can I be cremated and my ashes spread all over the world? Some in the ocean, some in the sands of Egypt, some in the canals of Venice, some on the steps of Broadway in New York, and some sealed in an envelope and stuffed in a crack in the Western Wall. But if I am to be cremated, then I want my organs donated. Why turn an organ into ash when it can be a better use for someone who needs it? Anyway, I don't want to be remembered as lying cold in a casket. I'd rather be remembered for how I lived my life. I don't think my parents would be happy with cremation though, or donating my organs. Spiritual implications? I don't know. I just don't like funerals. It's not that funerals are sad, but if people are going to gather to remember me, I wouldn't want them to be sad.

No comments: